Saturday, January 23, 2016

Your Very Own


Yes, because God’s your refuge,
The High God your very own home,
Evil can't get close to you,
Harm can't get through the door.
Psalm 91:9-10 Message

I know a lot of people rant about that second part: evil can't get close to you. You've heard it-- “Then why do bad things happen? And what about those refugees?.....” What we fail to see, or acknowledge, is the first part, the truth that comes before: God is our very own home. Have you ever thought about that? What your home is like?
This home belongs to me- you don't live there, I do! I can lay claim to it. It can be beautiful or messy. I can look scrungy and sometimes act scrungy. I can be at my best or at my worst. My home is a place where I can totally be myself. It shelters me from cold and storms and keeps me safe from harm. It is a refuge from people and from the world’s beckoning. Here is where I can relax, rest, be refreshed.
Any of this sounding familiar?
I can lay claim to God. I am His and He is mine.
He doesn't care how I look or how I act. He loves me anyway. He accepts me, just as I am. He wants me to be myself, who He created me to be.
He shelters me in the storms of life and keeps me safe from the evil one.
Being with God restores my soul, renews my strength and refreshes my heart.
This is what God is-- our dwelling place. Our home.
Just as a locked door keeps riff-raff away, God, my very own home, keeps evil away. There is a sense of safety, of security found within these walls. How much more then, can I feel secure when I run to my dwelling place, God Himself.
I am never as comfortable as I am when I walk in the doors of my house. That's how comfortable God wants us to be in Him. That makes me want to kick my shoes off, put my feet up and relax. Ahhh......

Say this:”God, You're my refuge. I trust in You and I'm safe.” Ps. 91:2 Message

No comments:

Post a Comment