Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Broken Cisterns


Water is a necessity.
It brings refreshment, growth, life.
In this heat, I battle wilted. Shriveled. Some of my plants have died.
I have a rain barrel, designed to catch the water dripping. At times the connection has been broken. Or the barrel simply does not hold enough to last until the next storm. It is inadequate for what I need in this heat.

“My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken Me, the Fountain of living waters, to hew for themselves cisterns, broken cisterns that hold no water.”
Jeremiah 2:13
I well remember the days of having a cistern.
A cistern is nothing more than an underground, over-sized rain barrel. The connection is easily broken. Or it would not hold enough to supply our needs. It was often inadequate. If it cracked? No water.
How often I have looked to cisterns that are broken, to supply my needs. Only to be left wilted, longing. I have sought people or circumstances to satisfy. And have thirsted, shriveling.
Yet here is a fountain. An everlasting supply.
Of water. Like a hose connected to the spigot.
Living water. Life-giving. That brings refreshment, growth.
Though the rain barrel is helpful, I am grateful for the spigot.
I relish the free-flowing.
I relish my Fountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment