Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Small Stone


I am runty David, trembling before towering giant.
How am I to slay such as he?
Who am I to stand? And with so little?
A small stone is clamped in my hand.
The hearts of these I love are oozing from countless wounds. They swirl in agony. Lashing at those near. Rebellion rears its ugly form.
This is my giant, looming.
I look once more at the pebble clamped tight. Wondering.
Wondering how a stone so small can even help. How can a mere pebble defeat a giant? Besides, my arm is weak, my aim poor.
He whispers clear: “If you have faith the size of a mustard seed...”
Faith, even the size of a small pebble, can bring victory.
Can slay.
David speaks the words of faith. “I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts... whom you have defied.” 
1 Samuel 17:45
It is the name of the Lord I must fling.
I stand a little straighter, taking a breath, deep.
I begin to fling.
He is good.
His love endures.
The trembling ceases. My aim more sure.
He is a refuge in times of trouble.
Another stone is tossed.
He cares for those who trust in Him.
He is redeemer.
The giant no longer looms.
My God does.
A pebble of faith can slay.

No comments:

Post a Comment