Thursday, August 1, 2013

Steadfast

I have seen, with my own eyes, the redwoods of California. Tall and stately, their elegance, regal. I am breathless with wonder at their appearance.
They have stood firm, immovable, unyielding to fire or storm. Enduring. For hundreds of years.
Redwoods are faithful beacons of steadfastness. They are the epitome of never-failing.
Steadfast. Unwavering. Changeless.
Words to describe redwoods. Words to describe God's love.
"The steadfast love of The Lord never ceases." Lamentations 3:22
God's love is dependable. Relentless. Firmly established. And as if that is not enough, the verse says, that love never ceases.
Never means there are no exceptions, no excuses; it is all-inclusive. In this case it is linked with the word ceases or stops, fails, comes to an end. Put together, the Lord's love can not possibly fail or quit or come to an end for any reason, without exception. Period. End of discussion, it's so final.
Just as I know I can visit those redwoods in California thirty years from now and view those sentinels, standing, I can know my Lord's love for me to be steadfast, never-failing. Without exception. Without end. Period.
I am breathless with wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment