Friday, November 8, 2013

You see, God sees


At the ripe age of fifty-five, I have begun to finally understand a thing or two. You know, important things like: we are bigger than ants; a shirt worn backwards is still a shirt, oh, and how about this one? (You'll appreciate this tidbit of wisdom!) Factory windows are difficult to see through, so keep your glasses clean. (How was that? Impressive, huh?)
The truth is, each of these items I mentioned are all about perspective.
How we view the world is important.
Back in 1 Samuel 16, there was an unmet need. Isreal needed a King. A good one. Samuel, the prophet, had this one nailed down. He saw Jesse's son, Eliab, and just knew "This is the guy!", verse six.
Wrong-o.
But the Lord said to Samuel, "Dont look at how handsome Eliab is or how tall he is, because I have not chosen him. God does not see the same way people see. People look at the outside of the person, but the Lord looks at the heart. ". 1 Samuel 16:7 NCV
It was like Samuel wanted to look at just the frame of a picture, decide "This one catches my eye, so let's choose this picture. " Pat, pat, congratulating himself on a job well done. And God says, "Whoa, whoa, wait a minute! Remember that ant illustration? People are bigger than ants. Ants can only see the single kernel of corn. They have no clue that belongs on a whole cobb full of corn, which hangs on a whole corn stalk in a whole field of corn. Which happens to be a drop in the bucket in the amount of corn grown around the world. And besides, see that shirt? It's on backwards. The front is filthy. He turned it around so he would look good, influence the way you view him. But it's still a shirt. There is still a naked woman on the front and it is still filthy from use. "
You see, God sees.
The whole picture. Not just the frame.
The whole earth. Not just a single kernel.
The whole person. Not just the outside.
We like to look at the outside of a well-made dollhouse and say, "Isn't that lovely?"
We don't even realize there is an exposed view of the inside. But God knows. He is intimately acquainted with the inside.
Those factory windows? That's the perspective I gain from walking in this world on a daily basis. Dirty, blurred, dulled. I have to make a consistent effort to wash my glasses, change my perspective. The only way I can do that is by getting God's view, to try to look at the world the way He does. And that only happens when He can give me the whole picture from His word.
I don't know about you, but I am weary of picture frames. I'd like to see the picture too. So, how about it? You and me. Let's gather some more tidbits of wisdom.
Here's another good one: a cow is known by its spots. That's a dandy one, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment