Monday, December 23, 2013

Pilgrimage


As children journey home, and I prepare for my own trip at the end of the week, I am reminded of other travelers, of long ago.
Mary, who first ventured to Jerusalem to visit her own relatives. Months later we find she has joined a caravan to Bethlehem, along with Joseph, her husband.
Shepherds must proceed from the fields, well outside the city, to find a baby lying in a manger.
Finally, we find a band of scholars who enter Jerusalem, seeking a newborn king.  "We're on a pilgrimage to worship Him. " (Matthew 2:2 Message)
Each sojourned to a time and place for one purpose: to recognize and pay homage to, a baby, the Word, made flesh. A Savior, born.
A pilgrimage is assumed to be long and difficult.  Even as I anticipate a lengthy trek in the car, I know it will be exhausting. Challenging, with a carload of teens. Now multiply that by weeks or months of travel to a strange land. Imagine journeying by foot or donkey when your very skin is bursting with child, pressing for escape. Or making an excursion to come reverently before this same babe, fresh from heaven, only you know that the stench and filth of living in the fields, caring for sheep, clings to you, despite your best efforts.
I need to think of these difficulties. To be reminded. It is often a daunting task, to come and worship.  I find myself waylaid by frustrations or too much to do.  Or I am unwilling to bow before a King, who demands, everything. I would rather relish my own plans, my own abilities, even momentarily. Or worse, I know the stench of my own sins, cling to me.
I am encouraged that despite all, each one ventured forth and finally, worshipped. The point for me, is to begin the journey. To start my pilgrimage, to overcome obstacles, and come, kneel before Him, adoring Him, in all His splendor.
"And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

No comments:

Post a Comment