Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Look for the Common



The angel told them, "You're to look for a baby wrapped in a blanket and lying in a manger. "
Look for a baby? Seriously? In a city, overflowing, in a town with no room? How many other babies were there? Enough for Herod to slaughter and cause weeping and much lament.
And wrapped in a blanket happened every time at my house. Seasons cold or hot brought out swaddled newborns. They were more comfortable, secure, that way. That is a common practice.
So basically, the angel tells these shepherds: "Hey, go look for the common. And by the way, He is Messiah and Master!"
The shepherds response? "They left running..." Luke 2:12-17 Message
I need to get this. Understand. Look for Jesus, my Lord, among the ordinary? The everyday? I would expect to find Him at church, or prayer meeting. In the Bible Study I attend. Those are what I consider the "holy" places in my life. You have those.  Those times dedicated to seeking Him, hearing His word.
But here is the charge to seek Him in the plain. The simple. The familiar.  And to go as fast as I can, to see for myself, the Savior. Don't dilly-dally or be lackadaisical about it. Be quick to look for Jesus. In my daily life. In those around me.
Those shepherds? They found Mary and Joseph and a baby, lying in a manger. Not just any baby, but THE baby. And then told everyone about this child.
So, for today, I intend to be quick to look for Jesus, among the common events of my day. And shout: " Hey! Unto you, a child is born!"
O come, let us adore Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment