Wednesday, January 8, 2014

No Shelter

Right here, on the fresh page of a new year, the storm clouds have gathered, threatening. And me? I've acted like I have no shelter.
When children have been ill and heavy burdens have been cast upon me, when bills pinch and I can't find quiet, I act just like those disciples.
"Meanwhile the boat was far out to sea when the wind came up against them and they were battered by the waves... Jesus came toward them walking on the water. They were scared out of their wits. 'A ghost!' they said, crying out in terror." Matthew 14:24-26 Message
While storm clouds swirled and waves pounded, those followers did not recognize their safe harbor. Instead, they dwelt in abject fear, focusing on all that water, pounding.
It is so easy to dwell in the angst. To perceive the now with the eyes of tomorrow. To live in the Land of Dread. Rather than Run to the Shelter, coming. Embracing the situation with thanksgiving. Standing firm upon His word. Trusting His heart.
Me? I tend to flail my arms in panic, rather than REST in the sanctuary, present.
My God, He walked right on top of those waves, battering. With three words, He calmed seas churning. With merely His presence, He can calm storms raging, in me.
In the midst of turbulence, I can act like there is a Shelter. I can Run, Embrace, Stand and Trust. I can REST. In One who cares for me.

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High, will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. "
 Psalm 91:1

1 comment:

  1. Deb,

    I met you over the summer at Word Bums and have been following your blog since. I wanted to let you know that I am so inspired by your words. I read every entry and am always encouraged. You have a beautiful writer's voice. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete