Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Strong Words

"He is good to everyone, and His compassion is intertwined with everything He does. " Psalm 145:9 LB

These are strong words. A firm foundation to stand upon.
 When winds blow wayward. And hearts stray. When the grit from daily life, blinds the eyes, blurring the seen and unseen. When storm clouds rise and that shelter? It feels far and unkempt. When it seems all I do is run, and I can't find the quiet, the peace. And I am chased by angst, by failure, by yesterday.
It is there, in that ship-wrecked place, that I find these words, blowing across the page. "He is good. "  Here is a branch for me to snag, to hold onto, in a river of emotion, flooding. He is good. He is pleasant, agreeable, excellent, understanding, kind. His goodness is complete, perfect. It is safe. And He is benevolent to all. Everyone. Without exception.
Matthew Henry says, "God's goodness is a great goodness;  the treasures of it can never be exhausted. He is good , so He does good."
As I cling to that branch, recognizing His excellence, I am able to slow down, catch my breath. Plant my feet, in water receding.
"And His compassion is intertwined with everything He does. " His tender mercies are over all His works. Over ALL. That means that right here, in wayward winds blowing, His mercy is moving along this same current, whistling peace, issuing hope.
Yes, these are strong words, ready to grab and steady me when I feel so tilted. They strengthen limbs, weak with running. They remove grit, from eyes blurred. Here, I am able to recognize His touch. Slip through the mud of waters, receded, into His embrace. And feel His tender mercies, clasp and encircle. All.

No comments:

Post a Comment