Monday, August 4, 2014

Glass Smooth


Upon seeing the pond, glass smooth, God's Spirit whispered. "This is what stillness looks like. "
I confess that I continually choose the churned up waters of anxiety. As if the ripples I cast upon the surface will spread out, thinning my worry.
The truth is, my fidgeting restlessness only increases my disquiet, marring the reflection of something bigger, Someone greater. Than the pebbles I cast out or the full-fledged rocks I have flung. The mirrored image of my Steadfast, Faithful God becomes more distorted, the more I churn. Until I imagine that He is not there, not with me as a Present Help.
Because my perspective has become so limited, I think my God is limited too. Thus, the pool was startling. In its reflection, I found trees towering, an image of God's strength and beauty. Upon its surface I felt a soothing balm, a hand of comfort to smooth ruffled feathers.
The peacefulness and tranquility drew me closer. It was the calling of a mother duck asking her little ones to return to the nest. It was a summons into His presence so that I could recognize and understand Him. It is only as I know Him, that I can drop the pebbles of unease, settling down and being still.
I long for glass smooth waters in my life, despite the people and circumstances who cause my heart to want to churn.
Oh, Father, help me to look away from all that will distract me and only look to
Jesus, the author and finisher of my faith.
Remove the stones clutched within my hand so that my life will mirror only You. I want to heed Your summons and feast my eyes upon You.
Only You, Lord.
Only You.


Let be and be still, and know ( recognize and understand) that I am God.
Psalm 46:10 Amplified
Looking away (from all that will distract) to Jesus, Who is the Leader and the Source of our faith (giving the first incentive for our belief) and is also its Finisher (bringing it to maturity and perfection).
Hebrews 12:2 Amplified

2 comments:

  1. Hi Deb! I'm visiting from The Loft. Your profile sort of grabbed me, how you said looking at the broken pieces just causes pain. But when we look through the lens correctly, with the right perspective, we can see the beauty. That is so, so true and that analogy is going to stick with me. Thank you so much for sharing that and for your place here that reminds us to view our lives from the right end of the kaleidescope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. I've been preparing a talk to college girls about how our KNOWING God enables us to trust Him and all the while being tested again with anxious opportunities. Oswald Chambers says, "Anxiety is calculating without God" and it's so true!

    So so glad you are joining us at #TheLoft!!! Rock-star mama! TEN!! Almost as many as my rock star mama!!! :)

    ReplyDelete