Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Wind Chases



The wind chases through the trees like some school boys on the playground, full of laughter. Leaves fly through the air as dust shaken from a rug. The squirrels chitter and scurry across the floor of the woods, joining the frolic.








I had forgotten. This is what quiet allows me to witness, what stillness enables me to capture. I marvel at such beauty, am breathless over this chorus singing in the background. It is an aria I seldom hear in my days crammed full of accomplishing, of conquering the next item on my list, checking off the next box and the next.
With demands squeezing, leaving you gasping, who has time to squander on such foolishness as inactivity, repose or relaxation? There is more to do! Another round of teens to transport!
How did I get it so wrong?
It is the racing around the track, without ceasing, that is foolish. This legion of circles that warps. Somewhere along this journey I have taken the wrong turn. I have believed the lie of doing-more-wins.
My God, He has been calling, as I did in forgotten days, wanting my children to come home, gather in before dark. It is only as I have stepped off the merry-go-round, that I recognize the treasure of His presence found in the geese trumpeting and the sunlight painted across the canvas of green. It is here, in the truth of silence that I discover courage for my days, purpose in my tasks, and my thirst for acceptance slacked.
In this portrait of beauty I detect, once more, the choir of God's lullaby, soothing, caressing, delighting, in me. Yes, in me, the one whom He has painted this stillness, this glory, for. Knowing, that it is in quiet, in rest, that I will perceive Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment