Saturday, August 1, 2015

Spared

For this is how God loved the world: He gave His one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him, will not perish but have eternal life.
 John 3:16 NLT



One more was added to the list. One more had cells that were headed wayward. Wayward and ugly. That made three, out of five that were headed straight down that path that she had traveled. Not knowing. 
I wept over the hurt of it all. Oh sure, those bad boys were removed. This meant one more was spared. 
The price, it seemed too high. The health, the life, of these in exchange for one who died. Who would willingly pay such a price? How could you ever choose to give up one for all?
I reeled from the sting of such, from the sharp, piercing truth: I was here, again, only because one had laid down her life. 
I settled in that place, camped there, for days. For years. I was convinced that somewhere, there was an alternative. The cost had been too exorbitant. There must be another way. 
And then, amidst the music and spoons, the ribbons and the hammer, there amidst a few words scattered in a text to a friend, I heard Him. "I chose One, for the sake of all. He willingly laid His life down, for your sake, that you might be spared. I chose to give up My Son, My only Son, for the love of you. The cost was exorbitant. It cost all. I did that for you, Daughter, for you. "
I wept over Redemption dancing within. I had caught a glimpse, just a glimpse, of my Father's sacrifice. 
It did not change my sense of loss over this one gone for nearly six months, now. But it did ease the ache over one more, added to the list. I could even feel grateful for those who were spared. 
Just like me. 



He who did not withhold or spare even His own Son but gave Him up for us all, will He not also with Him freely and graciously give us all other things? Romans 8:32 Amp


No comments:

Post a Comment