Monday, April 23, 2012

Idols


I have idols in my life.
They are things I cling to. Things I run to. They are what I hide behind.
Two of my largest idols are shopping and reading books. I spend much time with them. I stroke and encourage them. I polish and adore.
Upset? Go shopping.
Angry? Read a book.
Sad or hurting? Spend more money.
Tired and lonely? Bury myself in another book.
It's not that I worship them, really. I simply turn to them to find comfort or ease the pain raging in my heart. My intentions seem good. I simply “want to relax.” Others viewing my life, would consider these activities as normal. Acceptable. Even admirable. “She's always looking for a bargain!” “What an intelligent woman she is to read so much!”
The truth is , I have naught but emptiness. I am not comforted by shopping. I am not cleansed by books. Healing does not come by the cost of words on a page.

Little children, keep yourselves from idols (false gods)- from anything and everything that
would occupy the place in your heart due to God, from any sort of substitute for Him
that would take first place in your life. 1John 5:21 Amp.

I have idols in my life. I have given shopping and reading the place in my heart due only to my God and King. It is time to stop running to , hiding behind and even admiring such worthless things.
I must cling to God alone.
No more substitutes.
Only God.

No comments:

Post a Comment