Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Less Than


Why am I always so surprised when those I love fail, are full of lack. Less than perfect? Less than my expectations? Less than? Isn't God's word full to the brim of our sin, our lack, our less than? Full to the brim of our need to be redeemed, saved from our lack, that same less than?
What compels me to expect others to be more than?
The truth is I am a pride-full woman. I am full-up with pride, with self. I want to be perfect. To look good. I want my family to look good. To have lack, to have need, is unacceptable. It is to be less than. Besides, what if that makes me unacceptable?
Ah, this expectation of more than is rooted in fear. A fear of being unloved, unwanted. I fear rejection, if I am less. If those I love are less.
Oh, foolish woman that I am. “Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God... His understanding no one can fathom.” Isaiah 41:28
I have forgotten my God.
“My little children, I am telling you this so that you will stay away from sin. But if you do sin, there is an Advocate, someone to plead for you before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the One who is truly righteous. “ 1 John 2:1 NLT
An Advocate. A paraclete. One called alongside to help. Someone to plead my case. An intercessor. Someone who is on my side, even when I am less.
There is no rejection in that. No fear.
The less than becomes more than, because of my Advocate.
I am brim-full of grace. May that same grace overflow to these I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment