Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Storm Clouds


 The storm clouds are piling up. The day darkens.
I cringe in fear.
I have weathered many storms. At times, the clouds merely blow over, taking the darkness with them. Other times, the storm only brings a steady rain. Needed and refreshing.
And then, there are the clouds that deluge, simmering in darkness. Storms that blur the vision and blow debris. Tempests that cause damage.
It is these assaults approaching that cause me to cower. I have been drenched and nearly drowned in such. My soul quakes at the thought.
John 14:27 Amp. “ Peace I leave with you; My [own] peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.]

Here, Jesus offers peace. He gives peace. 
Offers as a gift: no more agitation. No more fear and cowering. I must grasp the out-stretched hand and receive.
But first, I must relinquish. Release the cringe. Let go the clutch.
When I wish to hold close, I must extend.
When I long to shield, I need to expose.
Peace. Calm in the midst of the storm.
It is mine for the taking.
The storm clouds are piling. Let them come! I have found a haven, even in the midst of the worst tempest.
His name is Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment