Friday, June 21, 2013

The Marathon

Like muscles stretched and pulled, the years have extended long, in this race.
Mediocre days have passed by like scenery from a car window. They have been moments in a clock ticking, now echoing.
Back there, at the start, with blood-drenched babe clenched tight, I knew, the days, they would last as long as the sun, shining.
As lusty cries in the night transformed to the first wiggly tooth, I knew, the years were all before me like words written in the first chapter of a delightful book.
When storms blew in with ache and when weariness settled in like a rocker, worn, those lusty cries became mine. And I wondered, would this race ever end. But I knew, there were still minutes left before the timer beeped. The finish line was not yet in sight.
And now, that line in the sand is erased, swept away by the roar of the tide. And I realize all those things I knew, were nothing but wishes cast to the seas of time. That really, it was a marathon that I have been running.
Memories ripple like muscles in my calves, some strengthened with use and others torn with hurt. I weep with exhaustion and surprise that it is all over. How can the unceasing days of motion be done? So soon?
That suckling babe, that I once nourished, alone, now sucks on life, with fresh eagerness. Running his own race. And I want to collapse, weeping, over the blank canvas, now filled. Afraid to examine the final picture, in case I've done it all wrong. Or splotched too many places.
Amidst the tears, as dawn creeps over the rooftops, I begin to marvel.
When I consider the obstacles and the difficulties, I am amazed we made it so far, or even at all.  It has been an exhilarating run and I am grateful. For the privilege of being entered. And like muscles stretched and pulled, the years have extended long.
I marvel, at the finished canvas set before me. It is beautiful.
Yes, the marathon is over. But, oh, what a run it's been!

No comments:

Post a Comment