Friday, June 28, 2013

Perfectly or Heartily?



I am forever trying to: Do. It. Right.
I think that if some how I can accomplish my task, perfectly, then, I will be Somebody.
Perfect is translated Loved. Accepted. Worthwhile.
If I KNOW I am loved, then why am I still on this hamster treadmill of effort?
Somewhere along this journey, I have gotten entangled with this sin of perfection. Hebrews 12:1-2 tells me to "lay it aside." Instead, I am to "fix my eyes on Jesus" .
What would it look like for me to change strategies?
What if instead of doing my work perfectly, I did my work "heartily, for The Lord" as Colossians 3:23 says?
To fulfill my tasks, willingly and cheerfully is a lot less effort than attempting to do them perfectly.
There is also freedom. Freedom from discouragement. Freedom from pride.
To do my work, for The Lord, frees me from the relentless pursuit of acceptance. And allows me the opportunity to worship, instead.
I hearby quit. I will no longer: Do. It. Right.
I choose: Do. It. Willingly. Cheerfully.
I choose: Heartily. For. The. Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment