Thursday, February 27, 2014

Fear

Fear is an insidious monster that gnaws in the night. It is a lowly creature that slithers through the day, whispering. Lies. It is voracious, consuming. Multiplying. It is the unseen stalker, relentless in its pursuit. At its best, fear is jokingly called "Godly concern." And at its worst, terror cloaked in Doubt, causes steps to falter, souls to quail and cower.
I know these things. Carried dread in a backpack, bulging. Slung it over my shoulder, trudging through each day, mired, in fright. Tethered to dismay.
Sexual abuse breeds fear like rabbits, procreating.
Burying children can enhance the disquiet.
And cancer? It becomes the lion, roaring, ready to devour.
But this is what I am learning. Fear doesn't include God in its equation.
Lies + Doubt= Fear. Lies plus Doubt. And what that really equals is the enemy of our souls, winning. Satan's whole purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. He is the father of lies. When I am brimming with fear, aren't I really believing that God is not big enough? That He is far or unwilling to listen? Isn't it, doubt of His goodness?
Fear is the companion of despair and they walk in the far pasture. Away from the present Help. Agitation keeps company only with itself. It spurns the relief found in the Father's presence. It ignores the God of all Comfort. Forgets His steadfast, immovable, Love.
Fear always yields. Doubt. Lies.
And it always steals. God.
How often does it say "Do not fear," or, "Do not be afraid"?
These words are followed by truth. Every. Time.
"It is I. "  Matthew 14:27
"I am with you." Isaiah 41:10
"The Lord was watching over me. " Psalm 3:6
"The Lord your God Himself will fight for you." Deuteronomy 3:22
"With us is The Lord our God to help us and to fight our battles." 2 Chronicles 32:7-8
"The Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9
I am learning a new equation from such.
Truth + Belief = God. His presence. His help and comfort. His goodness.
Mind you, it is often a battle. I have had many during the night, lately. Fear is sneaky and often comes through the back door when I least expect it. It stalks me as I consider pathology reports and chemo and a daughter, ill. But I am unwilling to allow dread to have the final word. Fear has crossed the line, once too often. By God's grace, I am no longer it's willing companion.
"And now, although ten thousand enemies surround me on every side, I am not afraid. " For The Lord is watching over me. Psalm 3:5-6 TLB
And God? He always wins. Every. Time.
With triumphal grace, I can boldly say, "Good-by, fear. Hello, Father!"
And that monster. Is devoured.

No comments:

Post a Comment