Saturday, July 26, 2014

Mighty Tenderness

I've seen a man, towering. Over six feet and built like a Mack truck. Mighty. Rippling with strength. The type of man you want to have on your side. Protecting. Shielding.
And I have seen this same Atlas, nestling a babe. Delicately holding his child with tenderness. Whispering words of love, showering this young one with kisses.
It is hard to fathom how such a Goliath, one who looks as though he is capable to easily pick up a car or even an elephant, could channel that brawn into such gentleness. Yet I have seen it with my own eyes. More than once.
And I marvel.
As I read words of Truth, I discovered descriptions of God's omnipotence and prowess. Language to awaken my heart to His strength. Phrases like "Who else has held the oceans in His hand? Who has measured off the heavens with His fingers?" "He picks up the whole earth as if it was a grain of sand. " (Isaiah 40:9-25 NLT). A grain of sand! The whole earth! These are utterances of His largeness, His greatness and power.
Back in verse nine, the text reads, "Here is your God!" And there follows example after example of His capacity and ability, as if we could not remember or be persuaded that He is so mighty.
Do you know what I love? How my Lord surprises me with words unexpected.
Nestled in the middle of such power, is His gentleness. Verse eleven says "He tends His flock like a shepherd. He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries them close to His heart. "
The One who can weigh the mountains on a scale, and call each star by name, is also the One who delicately nestles the young close to His heart with reassurance and love. Shielding. Protecting. He is the One who chooses to channel His immense magnitude into such softheartedness.
He offers mighty tenderness.
And I marvel.
And I worship. "To whom can you compare God?"

No comments:

Post a Comment