Monday, February 2, 2015

Mercy

I have long believed mercy to be an action. Something undeserved or unexpected, accomplished for the benefit of another. I have tasted mercy often in the tremendous outpouring of love and care during each of the difficulties our family has experienced. It has often been stunning. Breath-taking.
I never expected such treatment. I certainly have not deserved it.
I would rather believe that waving a magic wand over a situation, sprinkling pixie dust, is how you describe mercy. That way I can keep my eyes fixed on the circumstances. (And hopefully change them.)
Yet here I am with the taste of ashes in my mouth. I am watching my daughter be consumed by wayward cells until she is emaciated, and bloated, struggling with each breath. And this is mercy??
I am beginning to recognize that mercy is not something done for others. It is not a gift extended that you reach out and grasp.
Mercy is the One who grasps me. Mercy has carried me when I could no longer walk. Mercy has rescued me when I was drowning in anger or sorrow or even self-pity. Mercy willingly waded into the mess of my life.
Mercy has drawn me near when I felt so far. He has unclenched my fears in the night and wiped my tears in the day.
Mercy always comes.
Mercy is not an action.
Mercy is God with me.
Mercy is God. In. Me.

'But there is one other thing I remember, and remembering I keep a grip on hope: God's loyal love couldn't have run out, His merciful love couldn't have dried up-- I'm sticking with God--- He's all I've got left. ' Lamentations 3:19-24 MSG

Is it always Mercy and love
Companions together?
Do they always walk
Hand in hand?
Is it Love that you question
And Mercy that responds?
How is it that Mercy, Love
Can be the same?
I want to understand
To see the rope, hidden,
That binds them
One to another.
Open my eyes, Lord.
Enable me to see.
It is Love that binds me
And Mercy that sets me free.




No comments:

Post a Comment