Thursday, April 9, 2015

Monster of Grief

I've heard it often stated
And I think it's really true
That grief is a great big monster
Come to devour and to consume
That it likes to move in
Take up all the space
It seeks to be the master
And wants to run the show
It hardly ever answers
Or even to respond
To invitations to just leave you
Or entreaties to make it go
It simply wants to eat you
The outside and the in
This monster wants to greet you
To make you his very bestest friend
I've heard it stated
And I think it's really true
If you treat it with respect
And maybe dance a bit
It will leave you oh so slowly
And leave a pile of gifts
It will give you
The joy of springtime
The laughter of a brook
It will show you the marvel
Of stars and ants and trees
It will give the gift
Of knowing
That you are loved today
That tomorrow brings a sunrise
With many to hug
Who've not gone away
Oh I've heard it often stated
I'm not so sure it's true
That grief is a great big monster
Come to devour and to consume
I think I'll keep this monster
Let it have its way
To hollow and make more room
For gifts piled high
Like it is on Christmas Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment