Monday, October 19, 2015

Hold Tight





Hold tight to God, your God.
Joshua 23:8 Message


I know what it is to hold tight. To cling, unending, to what I count dear. I've stuck myself like glue to papers and pictures, dressers and dresses, in an effort to feel safe, or feel value, only to have them burned up, thrown away or lost. I've held fast to people too. People who have moved away, walked away, turned their back or died.
Something's wrong with this picture.
All my efforts for security, for worth, or just plain love, have been washed away like the dust after a summer storm.
In these words, "Hold tight to God.", is an insistence to attempt something different. There's an assurance that this is a good idea, since He is yours. He belongs to you. This is personal.
It's not about my efforts to cling. The focus, instead, is upon the object that I am grasping. Can frames upon the wall or furniture that gathers dust, shield my heart or caress it? No, but God, my God, can and far more.
He can soothe or help. He's capable of strengthening or reassuring. Besides that, He never changes, never tires. He never gives up, never withholds good.
He is always present.
Always kind.
Always able.
Always faithful.
I will reach out and grasp Him, who never lets me go.

No comments:

Post a Comment