Monday, December 7, 2015

Going Through


When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. Isaiah 43:2 NLT


To reach our destination often requires effort.
We are willing to wade through the creek in our tromp in the woods. We will plow through the field to harvest the grain or muck through the mud to reach the barn and the animals waiting there.
We will slog through the rain to reach the store and persevere through a run to gain good health.
We will even climb through rocky hillsides to enjoy a spectacular view.
The point of all these things is to go through, in order to reach our destination.
I find that grief is no different. To reach the other side of it, I must be willing to go through it.
To find comfort I must wade through the ache. To remember good memories, I must plow through the difficult ones. To survive a birthday, I must slog through the rain of sadness. Sometimes I have to climb through regrets or muck through guilt. And occasionally I have to wade through the deep waters of anger.
To reach the destination of wholeness, requires effort, often more than I could ever imagine. It usually takes longer, is more difficult and is a higher climb than I ever thought possible.
It is an unlikely journey, one I would be reluctant to choose. Yet if I had not traversed the valleys of grief, I would never have found the gifts that are now mine. I would not recognize the beauty around me or be satisfied with the simple. I could not comprehend joy or value unending hope. I have a deeper understanding of who my Lord is, a greater appreciation of those around me, and a longing for more of God and His word.
When grief knocks on your door, you must welcome it, embrace it and know, that God is with you, even in the deep.

Though the Lord gave you adversity for food, and suffering for drink, He will still be with you..... Isaiah 30:20 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment