Friday, October 5, 2012

Green Pastures

He makes me to lie down in green pastures. Psalm 23:2
In these days, I am grateful that my Good Shepherd MAKES me lie down. Like a reluctant two year old thwarting efforts towards a nap, I am often recalcitrant. Just as I knew my youngster would be better for it later, this Tall Shepherd of mine, who knows me so well, orchestrates rest, for my good.
And here's the best part: it's always in green pastures. I consider the lush fields bursting in the green of spring. It is sweet and alluring. And so very satisfying.
Do I always want lush?
Does it always feel fulfilling?
Absolutely not.
I want to nibble on sparse.
I want to traverse yon field.
My Tall Shepherd has something so much better for me.
It's right there in the next line: “He restores my soul.” Psalm 23:3
The purpose of lying down in the green is restoration. Not just on the outside, like a quick power nap.
But on the inside.
Where it counts.
So the next time you, or I, are forced to a halt, relish the rest. The lush.
And be satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment