Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Miss Ruby




Miss Ruby is a gem among rocks.
She spoke, determined, wanting me to know two things.
First, her husband had died that morning. Now, it was clear to me, that her mind had wandered to distant lands. I knew her beloved had died years before. Besides, she had communicated to me previously, that she needed to go down the hall so she could sit in front of her fireplace. (When she lived in a nursing home and there wasn't such a thing). But I listened with sympathy, anyway.
It was the second thing she wanted me to know that I found startling.
After chatting about her dear husband, she informed me that she loved Jesus, and that He had risen from the dead. Even though her mental faculties were now dimished, her heart, her soul, continued to experience God's love and grace. She knew her God.
In a place filled with brains, broken, her comment was like a breath of fresh air. I was reminded of Hebrews 12:1-2 Message : "Do you see what this means- all these pioneers who blazed the way--- start running- and never quit! Keep your eyes on Jesus. "
Miss Ruby was a pioneer. She has blazed the trail before me. She has clearly marked the path that I need to run on. No matter what, despite distractions and being tripped, I must fix, glue, my eyes on Jesus. To believe that He loves me and that He is full of grace, redeeming my life from all the areas that are outside the bullseye. That are outside of Him.
I want to remember Miss Ruby, this precious stone in God's crown. I desire to keep praising my God, long after my mind wanders to distant lands. And when I am as old and white-haired as she, I long to tell others of my love for Him and all that He has done for me.
I crave the ability to love Jesus to the very end of this body. Then to sing His praises for all eternity, blazing the trail for others.
Thank you, Miss Ruby. You are. A gem.


No comments:

Post a Comment