Friday, October 10, 2014

Shine




Everyone wants a light when it's dark. My flock fuss and fume over who gets the flashlight under the stars while camping. I hand out battery-weighted brightness so nothing can hide or cause a stumble. I also leave the nightlight on in the living room in case anyone needs to wander through the dark. 
That's why Jesus told His people: "Let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your Heavenly Father. " Matthew 5:16 NLT
Jesus, He wanted the darkness exposed, the stumbling blocks illuminated. I get all that. Where I tend to be tripped up is on my motive for shining. 
Here Jesus is saying, "Shine! Let everyone around you notice the gifts and talents I have given you! Let them see God at work within you!" 
He is also clear on His purpose: He wants the darkness cut through with light. So everyone will praise God. 
Here's the kicker: I want to be praised. I want to do my thing with a big "Ta-da!", [spot light on Deb]. Or I want to put a bucket on my head, hiding, mumbling, "I'm not good enough. I can't do it..."
Either motive is like a flashlight quickly running out of battery. Not only can you not peer out into the black anymore, but you can't keep from stumbling, in the dimness. 
Here's what I have forgotten: The Lord is my light. (Psalm 27:1). Jesus Himself says "I am the Light. " (John 8:12). Shining has absolutely nothing to do with me. He is the battery nestled within. 
When He asks me to glow in the gloomy, it's to say, "Ta-da! Look what God has done!", [spotlight on God]. 
That makes for a much better show. One, that I'd personally like to watch, again and again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment